[LAU] KXStudio as the regular distro ?

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Dec 19 22:21:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 22:28:05 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

Guten Abend,

> Run several Linux installs on the same machine. In the long term
> maintaining several distros might be to time consuming, but for a
> while it IMO is worth the hassle to maintain several Linux installs.

Thanks for the details.  My background consists of building and running
Linux From Scratch for several years, at home and at work.  That was
years ago though.  Since then, call me lazy, at home I do not want
really to 'fiddle' with things that much.  Enough at work.  At home I
want to do fun stuff.  I used to find it very much fun to assemble
Linux systems, creating Perl programs to assist and all that, but now I
find that making music is more fun.  Back from Germany I decided to get
an official SuSE distro, then switched to Fedora for quite some time,
then Linux Mint.  Both at home and at work.

Now, I reckon that there are great music/audio software out there that
could benefit from good use so the idea with asking for KXStudio is
basically to switch to a distro that indeed offers those creations that
others would not necessarily care so much for.

Yes, there are no specific 'yes' or 'no' to my question.  It is in the
details.  It could perhaps be a good idea to try the live KXStudio
DVD.  I'm sure that email and web browsers works fine, as well as
VMWare.  But it is in the details, and those cannot really be asked
about.  For instance the other I wanted to write a quick email in
French so I switched the keyboard only to find out that it does not
work in claws.  I use the German keyboard to type in French because I'm
used to it.  Works at the console and in emacs but not with the email
client. And we're in 2015 if I'm not mistaken.  I know there is a
technical reason lurking somewhere waiting to show its head "ah ah".
Same with Chinese characters.  In this current Linux Mint, no dice to
get it working.  So I still have the previous Linux Mint system to
which I can boot when I need to type in Chinese.

Those are details that cannot be really asked about and have to be
experienced first hand.  So thanks for the details and as you basically
said, it is up to experiencing.  Although I am really not inclined to
install several distros.  I'll try the live DVD first, I find it
perhaps more convenient.

BTW, since then I fixed the issue with the keyboard: üäöïë.

Tschüß.