[LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Dec 20 23:41:05 UTC 2015

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> At the same time I am  posting here, I am posting on the talk list of  a LUG
> here in the greater Toronto Area.
> Two situations  that members have asked about, referenced   are bringing up a
> couple of questions for me.
> of the popular   Linux distributions specifically developed for the
> professional audio community,  which is more  likely to allow for command
> line access?

>From the login window control alt F1 to F6 will bring up a terminal
screen. All will also have the Xterm or something like it often with a
keyboard shortcut to make it open. Rather than using mutiple VTs, I would
suggest using dbus_launch to start a text based session manager such as
screen and use that to switch from one terminal to another. That way
jackdbus enabled commands can connect from one terminal to the next. I use
screen for my login to my server where I can switch between this mail
client (alpine) and irssi for IRC as well as a terminal for server
maintenance (from within my LAN).

> My second question is tied to latency.  I believe this issue came up when I
> first asked about outfitting a computer for Linux audio work.
> One person here tells me that there here are low latency kernel tools that
> address the problem.  the question is going to be if those tools work with
> older distributions, squeeze for example, because more up to date Kernels do
> not always support hardware synthesizers.

Any kernel 2.6 and up can be made RT, from the early 3.* kernels there
have been "lowlatency" versions that can work very well with no patching.

> so, I have a choice.  build Linux audio setup with zero chance to use the box
> directly, seems most likely right now, and does not bother me very much since
> the screen readers are rather dreadful, or build a setup with a slight door
> open on that use the machine directly front.  I already know ssh telnet is

It is fully possible to start a session and using CTL/ALT/F1 get a
terminal and either just log in or ssh user at localhost from the same
machine. So far nobody has dropped VTs that I know of.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net