[LAU] CPUs for low latency

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sun Dec 20 23:52:33 UTC 2015

Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> writes:

> Laptop, now means USB is the only expansion game in town... The
> manufactures have worked hard to make it so. Even many desktops are
> hard to expand... and besides that, many fewer people (percentage
> wise) are willing to take two screws out of the cover to actually
> change something inside.

And most off-the-shelf PC's these days don't have many slots.  You only
get a lot of them if you're building from the motherboard up.

> For less than $500 one can have the computer
> and USB mic and make music. Manufactures do not want to make two kinds
> of audio boxes if they can make one... the USB box works
> everywhere. Raise latency a bit and it just works (even in
> windows). Raise the latency a bit because USB requires it, because we
> don't want complaints from the owner of the "super computer" buyer who
> has a very fast machine with 32 cores and 64GB ram and poor
> latency. So really, the USB IF fits in with everything else pretty
> good. (It is the best compromise for the market)

I'm just surprised that no one is complaining, given what a bad rep USB
had just a few years ago.

> Has anyone noticed that mother boards still have a printer and two (or
> four) serial headers?

Yes, though I'm not sure many people still remember what they were used
for.

--
		+	"With the rise of social networking