[LAU] [OT]: Multiple windows paradigm - [WAS]: Re: A > Project To Upgrade seq24

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Mon Dec 21 19:41:08 UTC 2015

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 19:00:42 +0000
oli_kester <oli_kester at zoho.com> wrote:

>  > Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 09:34:42 +0000
>  > From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk>
>  > To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>  > Subject: Re: [LAU] [OT]: Multiple windows paradigm - [WAS]: Re: A
>  >     Project To Upgrade seq24
>  >
>  > On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 09:38:03 +0100
>  > Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > On 09/12/2015 22:17, Louigi Verona wrote:
>  > >  > ...
>  > > >
>  > > > A single window mode is very welcome. I don't understand this Linux
>  > > > obsession with opening a zillion of windows.
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > > Personally I find multiple windows a very nice distinctive feature on
>  > > Linux vs. other OSs, especially for complex applications which offer
>  > > different 'interaction paradigms'. An example is a sequencer : having a
>  > > new matrix window open possibly for multiple tracks is useful, having
>  > > another window for the score editing. Possibly putting those windows on
>  > > different workspaces.
>  > > Also the option e.g. to only those windows (not the whole application)
>  > > 'always on top' can be useful (and it's good to have options)
>  > >
>  > > Throw in the multitude of window managers out there and choice is really
>  > > wide.
>  > >
>  > > Lorenzo
>  >
>  > Precisely my view too. Also, I find that when presented with a huge mass of
>  > controls all in one window it's much harder to focus on a specific function.
>  >
>  > --
>  > Will J Godfrey
>  > http://www.musically.me.uk
>  > Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
>  > Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
>
> Just weighing in on the single window debate -
>
> Will, you're my favourite linux-audio-user, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one :P
>
> I much prefer having one window by default - especially when on the road with a laptop - BUT then being able to undock and reposition panes when I wish. I like the way Renoise handles it (you can detatch the sample editor) and the way the video editor kdenlive does it. Pretty much the IDE-like model people have mentioned.
>
> As far as the technical details go (MDI and all that), I need to do some research.
>
> Might have to do a poll of users at some point to see what people would prefer the default to be.
>
> Best,
>
> Oliver

Just really underlines that the choice is needed. Nobody should be pressurised
into using something that isn't right for them.

Sort of reminds me (very) many years ago at school, when lefthanded people were
forced to write with their right hands.

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.