[LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 22 09:56:39 UTC 2015

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 22:26:11 -0500 (EST), Karen Lewellen wrote:
>have you any idea how many populations, for various reasons, use
>speech synthesizers as apart of their computing?
>Like those with dyslexia and other print challenges, autism, other
>cognitive disorders, and of course those for whom speech itself is an
>issue?

People on this list try to help you, to get your speech synth working
with Linux, since you first mentioned that it only works when using an
old version of Debian. If you dislike to get help with the speech
synth, than it was probably not wise to mention it, especially since
"hardware synth" in the context of an audio mailing list easily could
have been misunderstood as a musical instrument.

Assumed you need help with repairing a car, would you ask a plumber or
an automotive mechatronics engineer for hints how to do it?

If I would like to use a speech synth with Linux I would ask visible
impaired users how to use it, because this user group most likely is
the hugest group using such equipment. Btw. I'm a dyslexic of the type
were words become coloured bars, were characters walk around the paper,
IOW I join the complete mushroom alike experience and never heard of
dyslexic using speech synth and never considered to use one myself.

Anyway, sometimes a plumber knows how to repair a car, but you better
request help from an automotive mechatronics engineer to repair a car.

If you ask for hints what distro to use for audio in combination with
command line, we only can give you help based on the information you
provide, we can't read your mind.

IMO it's not a good idea to remote control an audio workstation, I
would avoid any layer that could have impact to performance. Maybe it's
not an issue to remote control an audio workstation, but usually audio
users don't do it.

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 08:31:58 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>"commandline friendly" is totally meaningless

No it isn't, depending to the user's needs, the kind of used distro has
impact. If a user e.g. wants to use command line mainly to compile
software that isn't availbale by the repositories for the packages,
then it makes a difference if a user e.g. chose a long term support
release distro or a distro that often provide releases or a rolling
release.

Regards,
Ralf
--