[LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 22 13:01:18 UTC 2015

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 13:27:43 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:50:04 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

>>> Please care about the OP's request.
>>>
>>> Users could run into dependency hell when compiling from
>>> up-to-date upstream sources, if the distro is meant to provide a
>>> steady work-flow by a long term support release. An Ubuntu LTS, let
>>> alone special business distros, do not provide up-to-date libraries.
>>> If the main reason to use command line is to compile software, then
>>> it's wise to chose a distro that is close to upstream. This is just
>>> one example why "command line friendly" isn't a bad phrase, if you
>>> care about a context.
>>>
>>AGain, you are completely missing the "long term support" thing and
>>mixing apples and oranges, LTS are freezed in terms of new features
>>upgrades. On the opposite a non LTS release is not freezed so
>>dependencies are kept up-to-date.
>
>That's why in this context (compiling from upstream) using command line
>is more user-friendly when not using a LTS release.

Another thing to consider.

Assumed upstream mentions that "jackd2" is required to compile the
software.

On some distro you just need to have jack2 installed, e.g.
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/jack2/files/

On other distros the software is split to packages, e.g.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/amd64/jackd2/filelist
some other jackd packages are hard dependencies, that are automatically
installed, but non does provide the headers, they are provided by a
package you manually need to install or that require using a tool to
automatically install the headers, auto-apt, apt-get build-dep ...
http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/amd64/libjack-jackd2-dev/filelist
So some users might consider this as less user-friendly.

Upstream unlikely will mention that you need libjack-jackd2-dev.

I do not rate the different approaches, I just inform that the OP
perhaps should consider what for the OP is more user-friendly.

Regards,
Ralf