[LAU] FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:57:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 21:50:39 +0100, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On 6 January 2015 at 20:04, Joel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:
> > There are about a dozen packages that depend on systemd,
> > such as dbus, pulse-audio, avahi-daemon, udisk. Once these
> > bottom-level packages are freed, the whole software stack is
> > liberated, with the exception of the Gnome desktop environment.
>
> None of the packages you mention depend on systemd as it is, so maybe
> you just need to move to a "liberated" distro.

Vice versa e.g. Thunar indirectly depends on systemd, since Thunar
depends on udev and udev and systemd are merged by upstream. In the
last years we got some grotesque dependency chains. Getting rid of those
dependency chains at least needs much work and sometimes might be
impossible. Assumed Torvalds wouldn't reject kernel patches from at
least one coder, we maybe already would have a serious issue. A good
bridge back to systemd and co-option of init and dbus. Systemd depends
on dbus and the time will come, when dbus becomes part of the kernel.

$ pacman -Qi systemd | grep Depends\ On
Depends On     : acl  bash  dbus  glib2  kbd  kmod  hwids  libcap
libgcrypt  libsystemd  libidn  lz4  pam  libseccomp  util-linux  xz

Since systemd is not portable to non-Linux systems Debian dropped the
Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port. Portability between Linux and other *nix
soon or later will become harder and harder. Systemd and a few other
new ideas aren't bad per se, but some of those new ideas added serious,
dangerous drawbacks to Linux.