[LAU] pulse/systemd - was: FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jan 8 14:49:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 06:10:03 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2015, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Why do you use PA as intermediate layer at all? You could just route
> > all alsa programs to jack. Alsa at least does what it should
> > instead of doing weird things on its own.
>
> Just? Just routing all programs to alsa means each or any blocks all
> others.

Users have different needs. I for example use jackd for audio
production only, for anything else I use plain alsa. IOW for desktop
usage, when watching a video or listening to an audio link, I don't run
videos/audio links on 2 browsers and 3 media players at the same time,
just one is in use for playing. No desktop sounds are used, resp.
just the PC/hardware beep (bell) is used for a few things.

Beyond that I'm using landline telephone (even no mobile phone),
record player, hifi cd player, television set with DVB-T receiver etc.
instead of the computer.

However, even those who use the computer as entertainment centre and
telephone unlikely are watching 2 operas at the same time they phone.
But perhaps I'm just a dino and don't understand the world of today.

Regards,
Ralf

It was a children's book a decade ago, intended to teach tolerance,
a book against Islamophobia, but exactly that book triggered the killing
of artists we still experienced yesterday. Creepy, Kafkaesque.

"Debate about self-censorship

On 16 September 2005, Danish news service Ritzau published an article
discussing the difficulty encountered by the writer Kåre Bluitgen, who
was initially unable to find an illustrator prepared to work on his
children's book Koranen og profeten Muhammeds liv (The Qur'an and the
life of the Prophet Muhammad). Three artists had declined Bluitgen's
proposal out of fear of reprisals." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controvers