[LAU] new laptop configuration

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jan 17 15:47:44 UTC 2015

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015, Joakim Hernberg wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:11:40 +0100
> Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using the intel dual band wireless-AC 7260+bluetooth so
>> I'll have to check. With the original PCIe (an Intel Centrino card)
>> card I did have issues:
>> http://linux.autostatic.com/2013/12/29/resolved-jack-issues-on-notebook
>
> Please do, as I have the same problem with an atheros wifi/bluetooth

The Atheros seems to be really bad. Once the module has been started, even
powering the WIFI off does not stop xruns I had to unload the kernel
module.

> adapter on my asus laptop.  Wanted to replace it with an intel centrino
> advanced-n 6235, but if that's a borked hardware/driver combo too, then
> there's little point in doing so (except to get better wifi).
>
> Was hoping to use a bluetooth mouse with the laptop in future.

I can't help with the blue tooth (batteries annoy me), but the one sure
way to use WIFI with no xruns is to use a WIFI "range extender" with an
ethernet port. Often the repeater can be turned off. These are basically
an AP in client mode, but cheaper. There are some APs that will do client
mode, but more that will not. I always look for WIFI APs in the garbage as
they generally work just fine. I use a range extender here for my son's
computer and it is very stable. The only problem with the one I have is
that it is AC only. If you need battery powered (I hate batteries) look
for one that uses a wall wart and replace that with a battery pack. Though
I would assume you laptop gets AC at a gig anyway.

I think that WIFI cards have followed the same path as modems did in years
past, they started as a separate unit, but have started offloading
processing to the main CPU so the WIFI card itself can be cheaper. To
research the good ones, the place to start might be with the
driver/module. With modems I had to go external, it may be the same way
with wifi. The upside of external is that one extender (mine needs a
switch) can deal with a number of boxes that need network.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net