[LAU] Audio over WIFI

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jan 18 00:29:07 UTC 2015

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015, Brett McCoy wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>       BTW, Linux is not mentioned anywhere and neither is open (source or
>       otherwise). However, I posted this because someone was asking about
>       running a few more audio lines wirelessly and the common thought is
>       that it can't be done with reasonable latency for monitoring. These
>       people seem to think it can. They are talking compatible with a wide
>       range of devices (android included) so the drivers are not being
>       redone either. Auto-seeking low traffic wifi channels might be a part
>       of it, but from what I have seen, scanning channels takes more time
>       than anyone wants for a gap in audio.
>

> This isn't completely a new idea... the Line 6 Relay wireless guitar system is
> also digital with non analog compression (except for the input into the
> transmitter and the output from the receiver), but it doesn't use wireless
> ethernet. Not sure how this Jack thing would connect to a guitar amplifier,
> though, you'd still need a receiver and DAC on the other end to send a signal
> into an amp. I guess you could use a computer or something in between.

I think there is a receiver as well (at least there is a picture of a box
plugged into an amp) Ya, there is a single kit and a double. I don't know
from what is written if the direction hardwired or can be switched. That
is I do not know if the two devices could be used to hook two guitars to
computer as well as one guitar to an amp. (not at the same time) I also
don't know if the latency is the same for two devices as it is for one
device to computer. That is, I suspect the two devices to amp has lower
latency than one device to a computer. There are still lots of musicians
around who do not use computers at all (guitarists more than key players).

Ralph: I think the idea of going straight to computer in the "studio" is
for home studio where the computer "audio interface" is the Intel inspired
unit that comes with the winos computer from Walmart (or whatever). The
"DAW" might be Audacity.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net