[LAU] Audio over WIFI

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 18 01:21:17 UTC 2015

On Saturday 17 January 2015 19:36:09 Ralf Mardorf did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 01:12:27 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:05:25 -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
> > > Not sure how this Jack thing would connect to a guitar amplifier,
> > > though, you'd still need a receiver and DAC on the other end
> >
> > They don't use amplifiers for the guitar anymore, they are using one
> > of those "perfect" amp and speaker simulations that are even able to
> > compensate bad pre-amps (that likely is the reason that those
> > "perfect" amp and speaker simulations only can be used with noise
> > gates ;).
>
> PS:
>
> When Gene started engineering neither the transistors nor the
> integrated circuits were invented.

Yup, I grew up with tubes, some of which in the later years were quite
novel.  And not all of them work by modulating the current through the
tube.  In the high power world of UHF broadcast, the final stage was, back
in the 70's, a klystron. And high power is not an exaggeration since it
takes at least 130KWH to run just one of them.  Not many left today as
newer, more efficient technology is in use.  At the peak of their use in
the mid-70's, I was probably one of perhaps 30 men in the country who
could uncrate one of them after Varian had collected their $130K and
shiped, remove it and hang it up by a chain hoist, fit all the resonant
cavities to it along with its cooling water (70 GPM) set it in the dolly,
center it in the magnets or center the magnet wobble plates on it, bring
it up at very low power & tune and adjust the magnets, raising the power,
step and repeat until it was at full power.  Mind you this was a device
that a wrong magnet setting would cause it to self destruct in 10
milliseconds.  If that happens, then you pick up the phone and call the
governor & tell him to get a quorum together so they can authorize another
$130K expenditure.  I never had to make that phone call.

> When I started engineering they
> already were used in studios. It's too funny that one thing didn't
> change, the pick ups for electrical guitars were and still are
> electromagnets needing special pre-amplification.

There are some choices today, that are at times even better because the
pickup coils are velocity sensitive, which isn't entirely suitable for a
bass axe.

I have in recent years seen several different kinds of microphones used as
git fiddle and axe pickups, including one guy who adapted a PZM (electret
condenser at its heart) to his acoustic axe and it sounded pretty darned
good.  When he gave the big string a pull, that whole barn made into a
theater breathed well enough you could feel the breeze in an open window.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)