[LAU] Which kernel do you use?

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Fri Jan 23 11:59:56 UTC 2015

Am 23.01.2015 um 12:13 schrieb Jeremy Jongepier:
> On 01/23/2015 11:57 AM, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>> I've get a new (used) mobo, and played with the kernel version to use.
>> So far I've tested all from 3.19.0-rc5 down to 3.4.104
>>
>> Those, were rt-patches available I test as rt-kernel.
>> Best results, I only get with the 3.4 series, all later kernels
>> introduce Xruns here, sporadic, unrelated to the dsp load, even, when
>> just jack is running.
>> I build then all with the same configuration, play a bit with
>> configurations deselect hyper-threading on the latest kernels, use
>> threadedirqs,  all to no avail. Only 3.4.xxx-rt kernel run absolute smooth.
>> So, which kernels with witch configuration do you all use?
> Hi Hermann,
>
> On my Quad Core Core2 machine I'm still on 3.2 RT. Works like a charm, I
> only get xruns when using very low latency settings like -p8 -n3 -r48000.
>
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Well, I guess the 3.2 RT will work here as well, just kernels > 3.4
started to behave bad.

The main reason I would use later kernels, special >3.18 is, that they
have a big improvement in the nouveau driver. Lately the 3.19.0-rc5
detect my card correct and handle the GPU mem correct.

hermann