[LAU] Opinions on missing voice patches.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 26 22:45:37 UTC 2015

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:34:34 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:21:50 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
> > These are just my expectations as a user. I don't know if there is
> > a "right way".
>
> Full ACK with Bob and you. The problem is that some synth have got no
> banks, but voices, so in practise it happens, that the bank command is
> ignored, but anyway a voice number is selected. Some synth btw. don't
> come with a display that could output a warning. My Matrix-1000
> doesn't have such a display, OTOH it comes with sound banks, but
> those sound banks don't provide general MIDI sounds, so this could be
> an additional issue ;).

PS: I've got a Casio were the bank select is a very short SysEx. Bank
select in general is an issue, because there are several ways how banks
has to be selected, just the voice select is the same for all synth.
Many synth don't provide general MIDI banks, especially the old synth
that were build before general MIDI was introduced. IOW it's common
that bank select is ignored and voice select will isn't ignored.
Usually a synth does change it's sound, by ignoring he bank select, but
taking care about the MIDI channel's voice select.