[LAU] Job - Germany - Multimedia Hardware Technician

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Jul 5 17:19:30 UTC 2015

On Sun, July 5, 2015 8:05 pm, Felix Homann wrote:
> @ Patrick

> I think there's no need to pull in international politics to explain
> the lack of interest in your offer.  Consider that your offer just
> doesn't sound that tempting. There are at least two aspects that make
> it seem questionable:
>
> 1. "must [...] enjoy driving on the autobahn."
>
> Nobody in his right mind enjoys driving on the autobahn. Absolutely
> nobody!

Ok, Maybe it should just say driving round the country and getting paid
for it. However I was under the (false) impression that all y'all Germans
love blasting your way around the country at top speed so that would be a
positive not a negative. I mean you guys invented the concept right?

> 2. "Own vehicle is also useful."
>
> If employer expects you to drive regularly on the Autobahn, German
> employees expect to get a company car.
> It's as simple as this: If you're not offering a company car there's
> something dubious about the offer and you can expect salary to be
> subpar in general.

You are making an assumption. I didn't say you "must have" your own car.
Just that it will be useful. There is no reason that the salary will be
lower if you can provide your own car. I would consider it as leverage to
get a higher gross income if I was negotiating for the role. Also a way to
pay for a higher value vehicle if for example I had to buy a brand new car
with finance...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd