[LAU] OT: Bash help to check new USB keys.

Kaza Kore dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:48:20 UTC 2015

Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 18:37:04 +0000

From: f.rech at yahoo.fr

To: dj_kaza at hotmail.com

Subject: Re: [LAU] OT: Bash help to check new USB keys.

It's not a full testing of a flash device I'm worried
about, especially as they are new, I just want to know they really are
the size they report as being...

Dale.

Probably GParted will tell you that,
HTH,
Fred

Except the likes of GParted, df, udisks etc are exactly what I don't
trust! I have read too many reports of people buying say a 128GB usb
drive, copying loads of data onto it and later discovering everything
after say 8 or 16GB isn't really there! Somehow they
fake the part (ToC? MBR?) which the computer reads the size of the drive
 from and seems (at least in Doze-land, where most of these reports are
from, but then again so is most the computer world) that the system even
 reports having written the files correctly
and they show up in the table of contents and in your file explorer as
you would expect. Hence I want to actually write data until the drive is
 near full and do an md5sum on the files I have written. It's only a
single write of the few thousand they should
be usable for and I plan to use them predominantly as back-up storage so
 I don't envisage lots of erase and re-writes over their lifetime. Basic
 drive integrity isn't a worry. Being sold dodgy, fake components which
report the wrong size is.

I did wonder if doing something as simple as a full (rather than Quick)
format to the likes of ext4 might catch out something like this too...

Dale.