[LAU] FM Synthesis introductory material

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Tue Jul 14 17:20:48 UTC 2015

http://chrisarndt.de/files/yamaha/fm/

> My main objective is to be able to program sounds on the hexter dx7
> clone and on my OPL3 computer (running adlibtracker 2).

I would suggest looking also at Dexed (http://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/).
It's interface is much nicer than hexter's, IMHO.

As with all sound programming, literature an dtheory can only take you
so far. The implementation details of FM also have a huge inpact on the
sonic character and possibilities. If you want to delve into DX7-sytle
6-OP FM, you just have to explore the possibilities (and limitations) of
the 32 available algorithms. This is IMHO best done by a mixture of
trying to achieve certzain sounds and by much experimentation absed on that.

If you understand German, this article on AMAZONA is also very enlightening:

https://www.amazona.de/workshop-echte-wahre-und-richtige-frequenzmodulation-lineare-logarithmische-und-phasen-fm/

AMAZONA has a few other interesting workshops on different types of
synthesis, you can search for the in the "Archiv".

Lastly, there are a few good video tutorials on FM synthesis on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fm+synthesis&search=Search

Some of them are based on the proprietary NI FM8 synth, but the
principles explained there can be applied to many other FM synths.

Chris