[LAU] FM Synthesis introductory material

F. Silvain silvain at freeshell.de
Tue Jul 14 21:09:36 UTC 2015

Fede Galland, Jul 14 2015:
> My main objective is to be able to program sounds on the hexter dx7
> clone and on my OPL3 computer (running adlibtracker 2).
Search youtube for new york school of synthesis dx7, a long video explaining all the parameters of the DX7.
There's also a good article series on soundonsound (SOLS) called synth secrets by Gordon Reid, which has a few very nice tit-bits.
Lastly a comment by Nick Bats (sonicstate.com) in the last Sonictalk (410). With the old 6-operator DX7 you had to waste half the operators to create more complex basic waveforms. So one good approach is to use two or three operators to create basic waveforms. Two OPs can approach a square or triangle wave and so on. The algorithms are drawn on the DX7, so a picture of the front panel should help.
This approach helped me in getting to know the DX methodically.
Good luck!

Ta-ta
----
Ffanci