[LAU] Running a JACK application with cron et al.

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Jul 21 14:32:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, July 21, 2015 1:16 am, F. Silvain wrote:
> is there a way to do it? I tried, but didnt get any sound. I suspect, that
> cron doesn't use the user, who defined the task to be run?

According to the crontab man page, there should be a crontab file per
user, and the tasks will be run as the user who owns the crontab:

A crontab file contains instructions to the cron(8) daemon of the general
form: "run this command at this time on this date". Each user has their
own crontab, and commands in any given crontab will be executed as the
user who owns the crontab.

> My system is Debian Squeeze, my JACK is 0.121.3 .
> My scheduler is anacron

This is in the "Disadvantages" paragraph in the Wikipedia description of
anacron:
Only the system administrator can configure anacron tasks. In contrast,
cron allows non-admin users to configure scheduled tasks.

Probably you will have to go to the Debian user group to find distribution
specific advice, but my first guess is that you could either replace
anacron with something like cronie which has the original behavior of
allowing per user crontab files, or you could try to make anacron run a
shell script, and that shell script executed something like su fsilvain -c
"jack_program"

--
Chris Caudle