[LAU] Running a JACK application with cron et al.

Neil C Smith neilcsmith.net at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:38:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 21 July 2015 at 07:16, F. Silvain <silvain at freeshell.de> wrote:
> Hey hey everyone,
> is there a way to do it? I tried, but didnt get any sound. I suspect, that
> cron doesn't use the user, who defined the task to be run?

This may not be because of a different user but down to the fact that
cron runs under a more limited environment - eg. limited path,
environment variables not set, no X, etc.

ie. http://serverfault.com/questions/337631/crontab-execution-doesnt-have-the-same-environment-variables-as-executing-user

I had some fun setting up an interactive audio installation some time
ago that ran off cron(*) in a shed for 4 years ... *in fact, may have
given up and used another solution in the end .. can't remember .. had
a sleep since then ;-)

Good luck with it!

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist : Technologist : Adviser

Praxis LIVE - hybrid visual IDE for live creative coding - www.praxislive.org
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections -
www.digitalprisoners.co.uk