[LAU] outfitting a computer for songwriting in linux?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 26 08:34:42 UTC 2015

Oops, send from the wrong account.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:31:01 +0200
From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAU] outfitting  a computer for songwriting in linux?

Don't use USB for MIDI, it likely cause too much jitter. If Your
computer provides PCI, you could buy cheap second-hand cards and just
use the MIDI IOs. I don't know if there are already cheap PCIe cards
available too. Btw. perhaps you are already satisfied with the audio
quality of a cheap second-hand card. An envy24 second-hand prosumer card
with two audio IOs for around 30,- € not necessarily does sound less
good than a professional sound card for around 1000,- €. What card you
need depends to the other equipment you use. Professional microphones?
Professional 19" effect units? Do you need special interfaces, such as
ADAT or AES/EBU? IOW "best quality" is an elastic term, so regarding to
your request "I want the best quality I can find for the work", more
information is needed. At least don't use USB for MIDI, you might not
be able to notice the MIDI jitter, since this also is related to what
you want to do, but USB MIDI does not provide "best quality".