[LAU] outfitting a computer for songwriting in linux?

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sun Jul 26 22:04:10 UTC 2015

fred <f.rech at yahoo.fr> writes:

>       De : Brent Busby <brent at keycorner.org>
>  À : linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>  Envoyé le : Dimanche 26 juillet 2015 18h46
>  Objet : Re: [LAU] outfitting a computer for songwriting in linux?
>
> USB is by far the most convenient way to get Midi connectivity on a
> modern Linux PC.

I wasn't talking about the plug type.  I use mostly 80's analog and
early digital instruments, and I only owm one Midi device (Behringer
BCR2000) that has a real USB port on it, so for the most part, I am
using Midi connectors since that's all I can use.  I'm still getting
Midi in and out of the computer through an Edirol UM-3EX USB interface,
which works great in Linux.

> Now, it looks like USB recording interfaces are all we have, so we don't
> have a choice.  That ain't good at all.

Well, if all manufacturers begin selling only USB interfaces, that will
leave us with a choice of buying USB or going back to tape.  That's not
a very good choice.

I suppose we're in the same predicament as the Windows and Mac users who
will have the same situation -- and they wouldn't have made this
decision if it was going to lead to impossible working situation for
users in commercial production on those platforms (where the money and
their reputation is).  Hopefully the thing that makes USB work nicely
for those users isn't going to come down to some trick accomplished in
their closed drivers that we can never share in.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky