[LAU] outfitting a computer for songwriting in linux?

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Thu Jul 30 22:39:31 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Karen Lewellen <klewellen at shellworld.net>
wrote:

> I've been a reader on the list for a while, not a poster until now.
> I am preparing  to outfit a computer  for songwriting in Linux.
> I will be using the command line  notation  options, of which there are
> rather a few from Lillypond to muscript.

​You might want to look at MUP for notation

  ​http://www.arkkra.com/

I find it much easier than lilypond, but others disagree :) I also find it
has been output.

As part of the writing process (as well as performance, but that isn't your
question) I also use my MMA software to generate MIDI:

  http://mellowood.ca/mma/index.html

Quite often I will generate MIDI from MUP and import that into MMA to check
note conflicts and just to make sure things "sound" like I think they
should.

Hope this helps,

--
**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****