[LAU] Shielded electrical wiring for studio (or not)

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Tue Jun 2 03:12:17 UTC 2015

Hi everyone, long time LAU, first time poster..

 Looking for some advice and I know from reading the list posts over time
there is quite a 'brain trust' of audio professionals here.. :)

 I'm in the middle of building a new recording studio and soon will be
starting to rough-in the electrical wiring, the studio is not very large
but will have a separate uncoupled control room and a studio
floor/rehearsal space. I'm curious what the prevailing wisdom is on using
shielded wire (or metal conduit tubing) for the electrical wiring..

 I'm in Canada where we use 120V AC, the wiring options are 'Romex' which
is regular jacketed house wiring with plastic insulation, next option
would be 'BX Cable' which is insulated wiring in a flexible corrugated
aluminum shell, and the last option would be metal conduit which is
getting harder to find on the consumer market since PVC conduit has
pretty much completely replaced it.. So obviously the cost goes up
accordingly with each wiring type with Romex being the most affordable,
in my existing older studio I can't say that electrical noise has been a
big problem but it certainly is detectable when using single coil
equipped guitars and miking cranked tube amps with a few stompboxes
engaged. On the other hand this will more than likely be the last studio
I build so I want to do it once and do it right. ;)

 Any recommendations? If I went with Romex are there certain tricks that
can be used to minimize potential noise? Or is this kind of thing
"majoring in the minors" and should time, effort and money be spent in
other areas of the construction or audio equipment?

A second related question: Is LED lighting better than CFL for noise? I am
aware that dimmers are always a bad idea so I will be avoiding them and
I'd prefer to use LED unless they are worse for causing noise..

Thanks for your time, I look forward to any wisdom you can share -GLEN