[LAU] Shielded electrical wiring for studio (or not)

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Jun 3 14:23:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, June 3, 2015 2:47 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Unless you shouldn't be Ri¢hie Ri¢h, you perhaps want to spend time and
> money in something that might improve acoustic properties, audio gear
> or music instruments. That is at least what I would do.

Yes, and I guess I should say that the paper I linked is useful, but has
to be taken in context.  If you are building a million dollar commercial
studio that had to be highest quality of everything (pretending for a
moment that someone would still do such a thing) your considerations would
be different than for a personal project studio attached to your house.

And while it may be nice to have the absolute lowest amount of power noise
coupling into your vintage Fender pickups, it would be a lot cheaper to
change to humbuckers.  That wouldn't be so bad, would it?  ;)

The other good way to reduce power line coupling to single coil pickups is
to move farther away from the power lines.  You just need to convince your
spouse and banker that you really "need" an additional 50% floor space in
your studio so you can have less hum in your Stratocaster.  :)

--
Chris Caudle