[LAU] Electrical violin?

Blaise Alleyne email+music at blaise.ca
Wed Jun 3 18:01:29 UTC 2015

On 03/06/15 01:57 PM, Gabriel Nordeborn wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with electrical violins? I might be looking to buy
> one, although I don't know how to play the violin, but I'd really really like to
> have one and try to learn. But, for my girlfriend and neighbour's sake, I'm
> looking primarily at electrical ones.
>
> Does anyone have experience with electrical violins? How much do they differ
> depending on price? I guess it's similar to electrical guitars and price depends
> largely on the quality of the pickups...?
>
> Any experience and advice is very welcome, thanks in advance!

I'm a lifelong violinist, but I've always played acoustic violins with a pickup.

But, just recently, I had a chance to play a David Gage Realist Violin:
http://www.davidgage.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=361

It's an okay sounding instrument, but really neat in that it's still a half
decent acoustic instrument, but it's got the electronics elegantly and subtly
integrated.

Just thought I'd throw that one into the mix... though I haven't done enough
research into electric violins to give you meaningful feedback on how they
compare to each other.