[LAU] Shielded electrical wiring for studio (or not)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Jun 4 06:21:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015, David Christensen wrote:

> On 06/02/2015 06:32 AM, Glen MacArthur wrote:
>> ... I've received a few mic
>> shocks to the lips over the years when I used to run a vintage amp without
>> a ground (it only had a ground lift toggle switch)... It didn't take me
>> long to upgrade the wiring to a fully grounded cord.. :)..
>
> I'm curious -- if an electric guitar amplifier has a two-conductor power
> supply cord (with hot and neutral conductors only) and a "ground lift"
> switch, what does the switch do?
>

> Can you provide an example make and model that has a schematic available on
> the web?  For example:
>
>    http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

I don't know about ground switch, but some of them had a "hum" switch or
something similar... flipped the ac lines. Sometimes the "neutral" was
connected to chassis... which with no keying on the ac plug meant the
chassis might just as easy be hot. Nobody has done that for a long time
now. The idea was old and outdated 50 years ago. (probably before)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net