[LAU] Shielded electrical wiring for studio (or not)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jun 4 15:47:23 UTC 2015

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 10:12:25 -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:
>That is just how pickups work, and without humbucking coils you either
>have to make sure the pickups are far enough away from magnetic power
>fields that the hum is not annoying, or jump through expensive hoops
>to keep the power fields confined in a high magnetic permeability
>material. Personally I hear 60Hz hum on nearly every Stratocaster
>recording and find it just very, very slightly annoying, but it
>apparently doesn't both Ralf at all, so I guess it depends on where
>Glen falls.

The 5 position switch provides usage of 2 single coils at the same
time. You could keep one single coil close (e.g. neck and bridge pick
ups) and the other far away from the strings (e.g. the middle pick up).
You still would get single coil neck and bridge sound, but
with a humbucker effect. Most often when I heard too much hum caused by
single coils it was simply caused by wrong usage of the gear. Often
people connect guitars to line inputs and then use amp and speaker
simulation and grotesque much overdrive or they stand face up to a
transformer instead with the back to the transformer.

Another problem might be to high-resistance caused by the way ground is
connected to the strings of Strat like guitars.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^|spring of the whammy bar
|___ cable

The spring is hooked into both sides and the strings moves on the
bridge saddles, so there are 3 error sources that easily could make
the connection to ground high-resistance. Both ends of the springs and
the contact surfaces of the strings should be checked.