[LAU] make a VU meter listen to jack output ports

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sun Jun 14 17:00:15 UTC 2015

* Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> [2015-06-14 09:03]:
> Peter P:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I am wondering how I could make a VU meter automatically receive all
> > audio that is sent to specific jack output ports by various
> > applications, also from those that I will start later on a given day.
> >
> > thank you for all ideas!
> >

> Hi,
>
> jack_capture is able to do exactly what you ask for.
> jack_capture is mainly made for recording audio,
> but to avoid recording anything, just run it in "timemachine"
> mode:
>
> $ jack_capture --meterbridge --timemachine --port system:playback_1 --port
> system:playback_2
>
> (make sure "meterbridge" is installed)

Thanks Kjetil,

I found out that meterbridge can connect to the system:playback_N ports
itself, but running it via jack_capture gives me persistent connections.
Thanks, this is great and works fine for me as

jack_capture --meterbridge --meterbridge-type dpm --timemachine --port system:playback_1 --port system:playback_2 /dev/null