[LAU] Kurzweil PC3/K KB3 setup for x42-whirl

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Jun 19 02:54:31 UTC 2015

On 06/19/2015 01:52 AM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
[..]
> Here's a setup for the Kurzweil PC3/PC3K, you can use to route a
> Kurzweil KB3 organ sound through the x42-whirl Leslie emulation, as well
> as a Carla preset x42-whirl and Calf Reverb plug-ins set up and routed
> ready-to-go:
>
> http://chrisarndt.de/files/kurzweil/x42-whirl/
>
> The .PC3K file contains a program ("Dry Organ") with a KB3 organ and an
> FX chain, where the internal Leslie simulation effect was removed so the
> organ just has uses the internal vibrato and cab sim effect. The program
> is meant to be used through a setup ("B3 ext. Leslie"), which sets up
> the sustain controller to have the right value range to act as a  Leslie
> slow/fast switch for x42-whirl.
>
> The Carla presets sets up CC# 64 as the MIDI controller for the Leslie
> speed control and a Calf reverb instance as a send effect. You may need
> to connect you MIDI input to the x42-whirl event input in the Carla
> patchbay after loading the preset. Then just connect the main outs of
> the PC3(K) to your soundcard's input.

Interesting. Does that mean that the setBfree's whirl emulation beats
the Kurzweil Leslie, while the Kurzweil-B3 sounds more realistic than
setBfree's tonewheel synth, or is this just /differently/ realistic?

Is there anything notable that you would change in setBfree?

One thing that B3 players regularly mention is that setBfree's drawbars
are by default not [yet] like the real thing. Some of the stops (IIRC 3
to 5) are too soft. That's part of ongoing research and tweaks.
Another thing are signal-leakages, they differ depending on age
maintenance, custom wiring,... Those are configurable in setBfree and
now also easily accessible.

I don't have access to a B3 (nor a Kurzweil) to compare, but I heard
from various people who do, that setBfree is very close to the real
thing; assuming you mic it, of course. Nothing compares to sitting next
to a real Leslie :)

Either way, it's a nice option to have. Modular setups are cool, and
more diversity in sound is a good thing.

Do you think it makes sense to include those files with the upstream
setBfree? The PK3 may make sense, but not all distros ship Carla.

best,
robin