[LAU] [ANN] setBfree v0.8

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jun 21 15:44:25 UTC 2015

On 06/21/2015 05:15 PM, Unknown wrote:
> Thank you Robin!
> great work.
>
> Nowdays I am using carla plugin host with calf organ.

That's a fine organ, too. Although with different priorities compared to
foo-yc20 or setBfree.

> It has advatages:
> - carla itself can save the preset of calf organ

How does this differ with setBfree?

The LV2 plugin version of setBfree saves/loads its complete state as LV2
ttl (and has done so since v0.5). You can create presets and like with
other lv2 plugins all LV2 hosts can use those presets regardless of
which host you used to create them. It's according to spec and works
with Ardour and jalv. If it does not work in Carla please file a bug report.

> - I can with OSC change the parametres of organ

I guess that in calf's case you map OSC to LV2 [float] control-port
using Carla, is that correct?

Currently all external control in setBfree is MIDI only. There are
intentionally no dedicated plugin control-ports to allow lv2-host
independent use (most B3 players use real keyboards with drawbars that
send CC).

For the organ, OSC support is not planned (not yet, anyway). To play it
you need MIDI in the first place.

How do you play & control the calf organ? Do you use two or 3 different
control surfaces mixing both MIDI and OSC?

The standalone version could listen to OSC, but for the plugin version
OSC control needs to be host-provided or done before the plugin host
(otherwise there could be conflicting ambiguous information: plugin-host
-> synth  &&  OSC --direct--host-bypassed--> synth; it also won't be
synchronous OSC vs MIDI timing).

An OSC to MIDI bridge is your best option. I thought Carla also already
provides that. If not, see https://github.com/ssj71/OSC2MIDI

best,
robin