[LAU] LV2 control-ports and midi binding -- was Re: [ANN] setBfree v0.8

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Tue Jun 23 16:46:14 UTC 2015

On 06/23/2015 02:37 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:

>> alas, in LV2 there's no standard defined way to do just that.
>
> The vocab is there and there are some de-facto examples for patch:set.
>
>     patch:set param:some_control 1.234f
>
> That message can be generated by a plugin (sent to host) and by a host
> (sent to DSP).
>
> but the official doc still says "Other methods, such as setting dynamic
> parameters via messages, are possible but not defined here."
> http://lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core/#Parameter
>
> So yes, this needs to be worked out.

> I think it's fine if float-pointer input control ports remain completely
> under the host's control (backwards compat, simple plugins) as long as
> there are other means that allow a plugin to set its own properties.
>
> There's no need to complicate the simple & fast way that's good for 90%
> of all plugins. Like with AU: If you have a fancy plugin (dependent
> Params, internal Properties), use the fancy API.

i still think that a simple standard defined message for a plugin to
tell its host the following:

   "-- i've made some changes onto my own internal state, including
some, if not all of (my) parameters (aka. input control ports), so
please scrap all your current view state of me from this moment on and
get it all re-freshened up, will you? btw. you can also opt to set your
session dirty flag, as for saving my (partial new) state later on."

would solve a lot of grief i suppose.

my2c
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela

ps. once upon a time, me and falktx poked drobilla about this, while
during this latest lac2015 at JGU-Mainz. iirc. all we nodded in agreement :)