[LAU] Coral - music from Studio D

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 30 10:57:18 UTC 2015

On 06/26/2015 11:21 AM, Will Godfrey wrote:

re: Coral.mid

> Actually, I didn't think of the original as a true choral sound, and
> to me, it did suggest 'under water' along with the picture. Still, I
> had quite bit of fun with this :) When I saw 4 tracks in the MIDI file
> I was expecting SATB, which would have enabled me to use choir sounds
> that best match those ranges. However, you really need to have a stern
> talk with your singers Dave. They were walking all over each other's
> ranges quite outrageously. Indeed, I'm surprised there weren't fisticuffs!

It seems they were mostly drunk. I made it clear to them that I'd
tolerate no more such behavior, but like most of the singers I work
with, I don't think they were listening to me. :)

> The compromise I worked out was to use 'Another Choir' for track 1,
> 'Soft Ahh' for tracks 2 & 4, 'Boy Choir' for track 3. This still
> wasn't ideal as the lower notes lacked body, so I made a 5th track
> from a merge of all the others, shaved off the top octave or so, and
> set it to 'Smooth'. This can make quite a nice Mmmm choir. Here is the
> final track along with the Rosegarden file and yoshi/zyn patchset.
> (you'll see I was able to reinstate the ritardando).

Very cool thinking, it's a nice work-around where the original sounds
relied on the Angelina synth patch.

> http://www.musically.me.uk/Coral-2.ogg
> http://www.musically.me.uk/Coral-2.rg
> http://www.musically.me.uk/Coral-2.xmz I'll leave these files up for a
> couple of weeks or so.

Thanks, Will, I really enjoyed the OGG file. I didn't think it would
work out as a more-or-less standard choral piece but you made some nice
moves on it. Well done, sir !

Best,

dp