[LAU] Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - reliable?

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:51:33 UTC 2015

Hi Jeremy and Ben,

> On 02/28/2015 05:19 PM, Ben Bell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My dual Delta 1010 setup is on its last legs and I'm thinking (again) of
> > retooling with a Saffire Pro 40. I've been bitten in the past by upgrades
> > like this which is why I'm still on the 1010s, but there's only so many
> > times I can repair them before I have to admit defeat.
> >
> > Is anyone out there actively using a Saffire Pro 40 in a serious setting?

I've been using a Delta 44 for many many years though since moving more and
more to laptop it's no longer possible so I've moved to Firewire. Not this
card though, got a Roland FA-66 which works good but gives a bit much
latency, and a Presonus firestudio project which I use mostly live.

Another thing is that I find the cabling for firewire (and probably USB) a
real nuisance, especially since the firewire stack used by jack does NOT
like it when the device is disconnected.

> Hello Ben,
>
> Not anymore, I switched to USB. But I've used one for a couple of years
> and I've also used the 24.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but is USB comparable in performance to
firewire under linux now? Latency? Number of channels? Mostly I'm asking
about latency.

Regards,
Robert