[LAU] Cutting the USB cord :-)

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Wed Mar 4 01:23:19 UTC 2015

> > I have been trying to strategize cutting the USB cord (right now, one USB,
> > one
> > Firewire...) for my portable synth on and off for a long time; I really
> > don't
> > like wearing out USB ports and cables !!!!  Was just perusing some of the
> > AoIP
> > conversation and thinking...and then a thought was given, did a search, and
> > found:
> >
> > https://www.hifiberry.com/
>
> It says it is a DAC. Don't you need an ADC?

Nope!  For my synth, the digital audio is always being generated (via synth and SF2) in the software, the problem is getting it out to the amplifier.  If I ever need to sample I'll probably hook a good USB mike to my phone!

> > So, at least in theory, for about $160 or so, I could get one of those and
> > an RPi
> > 2.0 starter kit, run netjack and qmidinet, and have a 96kHz wifi audio
> > interface
> > with MIDI...?  Anyone see an obvious catch?
>
> As someone else said, "WIFI". This part is: "please try this and tell us
> all how it goes."

Yup.  I need a new desktop anyhow, so I am slowly sidling up to an RPi2 to test various different theories :-)

> Because this is a stage/live setup, I would question
> using 96k, but trust that you have your reasons.

The 96k is for the highs.  I like to have a very gentle feathery timbre available in the higher reaches at lower volumes, in strings.  The shape of the waveform is very crude, if you think about it, at 48k in the higher reaches.

> I am thinking an OPUS
> link would be advantageous because it may handle dropped packets better
> than PCM and still has good latency performance.

Had not heard of OPUS.  Can you direct me to a reading or three?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman | jeb at ponderworthy.com | (785)233-9977
Ponderworthy | http://ponderworthy.com