[LAU] Problems with sample rate and recordings (Mackie onyx > 1640-i < Firewire > Debian )

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Mar 4 17:12:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, March 4, 2015 3:50 am, sub wrote:
>> By using the snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near () ALSA function.
> This sounds interesting.
> But how could i use this parameter? Any specifical command i should use
> into the shell?

That function is in the ALSA library, so not directly applicable (you
mentioned using the firewire backend with JACK, so I assume you are using
FFADO directly and not the new ALSA support for Firewire devices).
I looked through the FFADO sources and did not see something directly
equivalent, but it really isn't necessary, you should know what sample
rates your device supports and just set the correct rate.  I think the
ALSA function is just there to support multiple audio devices where you
may switch from one audio device to another which does not support the
same capabilities. That doesn't really work in a production setting since
for example the Ardour project rate would then no longer match the running
sample rate.  More for general desktop use.

Probably the most useful items from FFADO would be ffado-mixer to show the
current sample rate settings of the hardware, or let you set a particular
sample rate, and the ffado-test utilities to verify operation apart from
jackd.

--
Chris Caudle