[LAU] 3.18.7-rt2 issue and journalctl log files

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 06:30:44 UTC 2015

On 07/03/15 06:50, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:55:27 -0500, David Santamauro wrote:
>> sudo journalctl -mfla
>
> Indeed, I didn't use "mfla", unfortunately it seems not provide useful
> information either.
>
> 'man journal' and 'journalctl -h' didn't help. Alphabetically and
> lexically order seems to be out of date, so I likely missed some
> information.
> Thanks to Linus Torvalds for banning one of those systemd/udev idiots
> from the kernel development.
>
> De facto every message displayed by the startup messages most likely
> could be written to a log file too and it was written, but seemingly
> isn't written to a log file anymore.
>
> The solution seems to be that I need to take photos of the upstart
> messages using an iPad I won (no, I didn't buy it). That's a shame!

perhaps the solution for you is a more traditional DIY setup, rather than pick
what someone else has done and work with that, just like you probably did 10
years ago ... it is more work to DIY, so many hope to skip that work but spend
ages hopping from distro to distro instead.

A more unix-like setup using init is still very feasible based on debian, and it
looks like debvuan may well maintain GNU/linux into the future, as the debian
packages move more and more to dependencies on a bloated desktop with systemd etc.

https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-project/wikis/home

Linux, as the kernel, is running more and more machines .... but the main
desktop distributions are trying to be low-rent microsoft clones with opaque
configuration beyond the basic choices offered via GUIs, and fairly regular
system crashes just to help the ex windows users feel at home.

Unfortunately they seem to have become dominant in debian, and that means almost
everywhere downstream of them (or redhat, suse etc which have already gone that
way) ... but it is the GNU part that you are speaking of here, so stick with
that ... and accept it is never going to be fully prepackaged, off-the-shelf
plug and play.

Simon