[LAU] QJackCtl starts up with message window displaying this message

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 04:27:18 UTC 2015

On 03/18/2015 01:43 AM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 03/18/2015 07:54 AM, david wrote:
>>
>> When QJackCtl starts up now, it always displays the message window with
>> this showing in it:
>>
>> 21:30:58.980 Patchbay deactivated.
>> 21:30:58.999 Statistics reset.
>> 21:30:59.007 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI
>> patchbay will be not available.
>> ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
>> such file or directory
>> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
>> Cannot connect to server request channel
>> jack server is not running or cannot be started
>>
>> Happens whether I've got it set to use RAW or SEQ midi.
>>
>> I don't have QJackCtl set to start JACK on startup, I start it manually.
>>
>> When I start it manually, it starts up and everything audio works fine.
>> But if I set it to use SEQ, there are no entries in MIDI or ALSA tab. If
>> I set it to use RAW, it finds my E-MU XMidiX1 and adds 1 in and 1 out
>> port. That puts only 1 midi_capture_1 port on the MIDI tab, though. It
>> apparently no longer finds it as an outport (I can tell because the OUT
>> port light on my interface doesn't come on.
>
> you don't seem to have ALSA sequencer kernel module loaded
> (snd_seq_midi)--you need that for the jackd "seq" midi driver to
> function properly and/or to get rid of that qjackctl startup message as
> well or you can disable ALSA sequencer support on qjackctl/Setup/Misc
> and try again.
>
> hth.
> cheers

Thanks, Rui. I put it in my modules files as David Baron's advice
(thanks, David) and the keyboard is once again in its rightful place.

I do wish simple things like this are kept straight in the future.
Aptosid is a problem right now when it comes to systemd/udev. Debian has
switched to systemd. Aptosid's kernel, though, has not. And since most
updates to Aptosid come from Debian Sid ... oh, well!

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community