[LAU] rtirq

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Mar 20 06:29:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 13:37:18 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
> Basically, you are telling me that an audio buffer of 128 samples is
> too long for good MIDI sync.

Your explanation likely is correct, since the jitter indeed decrease
with lower latency. The lowest latency I can use and I ever tested
regarding MIDI jitter are 10.7 ms, 256/2 at 48 KHz, 512/2 at 96 KHz.
This is good enough when recording all external MIDI equipment at the
same time, that's why I bought a new card and an ADAT device, that
unfortunately doesn't work on my machine. It's not good when recording
short attack time sounds one after the other, then depending on the
kind of sound it becomes a problem, e.g. two kick sounds recorded one
after the other to make them one kick sound, would sound disgusting
regarding the random offset.