[LAU] hmm, updated to yoshimi 1.3.3 in debian sid repository AND

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 28 07:56:05 UTC 2015

On 03/27/2015 11:47 AM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 20:31:24 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I checked. "/usr/local/share/yoshimi/banks" doesn't exist. My Aptosid
>> Debian Sid setup has them here: "/usr/share/yoshimi/banks".
>
> OK, maybe we should add this to the default list.

Sounds like a deal.

>> I noticed that there's a root named "./" - what's that supposed to
>> represent?
>
> I think this is a historical reference to when a few banks were in the src
> directory. We should probably remove it now :)

Sounds like a deal.

>> I do have a root setup to a yoshimi folder in my home directory. It only
>> contains instruments, I think. Anyway, even though it's set up as one of
>> my roots, when I make that one current and click the Instruments button,
>> I get a new window "Root #2, Bank #5" showing no instruments whatever.
>> Shouldn't it show the instruments in that folder? There are a bunch there.
>
> It looks like you are pointing the root path *into* a bank, you should point it
> to were the bank *is*
>
> So bank foo in {username}/mysounds with instruments bar1, bar2,bar2
> the root path should be /home/{username}/mysounds.

I have it setup as you mention above: /home/david/yoshimi. Selecting it
as a bank shows me none of the 35 instruments in that folder.

I've also tried pointing the root at /home/david, but that didn't find
them, either.

Maybe I should move them into a banks folder? Just did that ... nope,
still nothing. OK, removing the "./" root from the collection makes the
instruments appear.

I moved the instruments back out of the banks folder I created, they
still seem to show up. Weirdly enough, though, when I pick one or
another from the list of instruments, the instrument doesn't change when
I select one ... I moved them back into a banks folder and now the
instrument changes when I select one. It sounds like something in yoshi
really wants that "banks" folder.

> Traditionally all default bank collections have been in a directory called
> banks. There was a suggestion that this should be a hard requirement, but I
> didn't want yoshi to be that demanding!
>
> Do the instruments in your bank have the 4 digit number prefix? We've tested
> that the structure works correctly if some don't have a prefix, but I'm not
> sure how it would behave if none of a large collection were prefixed. This
> wouldn't be very stable anyway as any additions or removals would shuffle them
> around.

They all have 4-digit number prefixes.

> HTH

It does, making sense out of this.