[LAU] Jack fails in QJackCtl but not in command line

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun May 3 22:20:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, 4 May 2015, Anton Curl wrote:

> On 03/05/2015 22:45, Len Ovens wrote:
>> With jack2, I have found chmod -x /usr/bin/jackd helps. jackd does not do
>> auto-pulse or gladish either anyway. What that leaves is jackdbus which is
>> what qjackctl starts.
> Is there other differences between runing jackd with command line and with
> QJackCtl ?

It depends :) Qjackctl can be set up to run either jackd or jackdbus. In
debian/ubuntu the default action is to run jackdbus. Switch to jackd on
the last tab in setup (Misc) with the "Enable D-Bus interface" checkbox.
With Dbus disabled jackd is what is run and the action is the same as
running jackd from the command line.

>> You can also play with jack_control for trouble shooting.
>>
>> jack_control ds alsa dps capture hw:5,1 dps playback hw:5,0 dps \
>>     rate 44100 dps period 256 dps nperiods 2 dps midi-driver seq \
>>     ep realtime-priority 80 start
>>
>> Should give you the same thing as the command below... but run jackdbus
>> instead.
> With this command it's like with QJackCtl. jackd starts with hw:5,1 for
> capture and playback.

That sounds like a bug in the jack2 dbus interface to me. I have never
used anything more than first digit devices so I can't even test it. In
fact I have not used different input to output devices.

> Oh! Now it works again...
> I don't know what I've changed but jackd starts on hw:5,0 as playback and
> hw:5,1 as capture with QJackCtl and Gladish.
> I'm very confused. I just hope it will keep working when I'll reboot.

>From a terminal, you may wish to find out if it is jackd or jackdbus you
are using. But if Gladish (and I presume Jacksink in pulse) are working,
it sounds like it does work.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net