[LAU] Jack ports

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri May 8 20:32:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk>
wrote:

> On Fri, 8 May 2015 21:23:45 +0100
> Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > I seem to recall someone saying there is a limit to the number of ports
> jack
> > can handle. What is the limit?

Depends on the implementation.

In all cases, the -p argument given to the server will specify the number
of ports. In Jack1 it defaults to 256 but can be increased arbitrarily. In
Jack2, I don't know the default, but I do know that the upper limit is
fixed at build time. In most cases it will be 2048.

> > What about MIDI, how many MIDI ports can jack handle?

counted towards the total.

> Is there a difference between the number of ports registered, and the
> number
> actually connected?

depends on what you mean by "connected"