[LAU] issues with Pure Data and JACK

Robert Edge thumbknucklerocks at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:52:15 UTC 2015

I'm having problems with Pure Data and JACK and I was wondering if anyone
else has seen this behavior.

I can have any number of JACK applications happily running and routing
audio back and forth, when I start PD I often (but not always) get a
crackly distortion.  This distortion is present is on any JACK client,
before PD has even loaded a patch or is actually processing audio.  Closing
PD does not solve the problem,. I need to close every JACK client, close
jackd, and restart the server.

I see a bunch of these messages from jackd when PD is started:

JackPosixSemaphore::TimedWait err = Connection timed out

JackFreewheelDriver::ProcessSync SuspendRefNum error

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphSync: ProcessWriteSlaves error, engine may now
behave abnormally!!

jackd is started(by way of qjackctl) with the incantation:

/usr/bin/jackd -S -dalsa -r44100 -p64 -n2 -D -Chw:M1010LT -Phw:M1010LT -I30
-O30

this is jackdmp(JACK2) 1.9.9.5 on Fedora 20 with the PlanetCCRMA kernel.

the sound card is an M Audio 1010LT that has been rock solid on several
distributions and kernels for about a decade now.

not sure if it matters, but a2jmidid is always running, it is started by
qjackctl running the command:

a2jmidid -e &

I am running pd-extended from the planetccrma repo, version
0.43.4-1.fc20.ccrma

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-r