[LAU] New hardware setup for recording (not same as existing threads)

Michael Jarosch riotsound at riotmusic.de
Tue May 26 11:08:30 UTC 2015

Am Montag, den 25.05.2015, 17:23 -0400 schrieb Martin Cracauer:

> I wonder whether somebody has recommendations for these two parts.
> Digital part with great Linux support,

That's easy: Speaking about Linux-support I don't know anything better
than RME. I'm using an HDSP9652 for quite a while, now, and never had
any problems.
If you don't like PCI, there is also a successor with PCIe.

>  and what do I use for analog to ADAT?
My first A/D-converter was a Behringer ADA8000, too. After buying the
RME my wallet was empty. :)
After all, the Behringer device is o.k. - just had some trouble with a
broken lightpipe-output (guess, they are using better ones in a later
revision). What I don't like is the missing WordClock Out/Through.
Keep in mind, they can only play 48000 Hz. But the HDSP sound great even
at 48kHz/24bit.
Surprisingly, the ADA8000 output seems to be a clone of the
48kHz-version of the RME Analogue Extension Boards ("AEB 4/8-O"), at
least they are using the same chips.

As I had a bit more money, I bought 2 Presonus DigiMax FS8, that doesn't
sound significantly better, but have some nice features like
96kHz-support, WordClock-Out, WordClock-In termination and
insert-channels.

I wouldn't bet, the ADA 8200 is better than the ADA 8000. In the past,
there have been some bad successors of good and surprisingly cheap
Behringer-hardware.

Greets!
Mitsch