[LAU] Ardour4 and named jack?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Nov 5 20:02:06 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 06:30:17PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > The "named server" option requires that an environment variable be set in
> > the environment of every client that wants to use a server started with
> > this option.
>
> This is simply *not true*.
>
> The server name is an optional parameter for jack_open().
> All my own apps that use Jack have a command line option
> to select a server.

almost no JACK clients that i have ever read the code for support
explicitly naming the server. thus, for the overwhelming majority of users,
this remains the effective reality:

   If unspecified, use "default" unless $JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER is defined in
the process environment.

> And any dialog used to configure an
> app's  audio interface can have a field offering the same
> choice (with 'default' or an empty string as the default).

except that there is no reason to even expose this option that exists only
for tinkerers and corner cases.

once again, you do not sit on IRC all day answering questions about using
this software. if you did, you would see the kind of havoc that this way of
thinking causes when your user base looks different than a group of smart,
tinkering geeks.

the option does exist, almost entirely to support unusual corner cases and
unusual users. there is zero reason to expose it in any software aimed at
people who simply want to get things done.