[LAU] How to have audio w/o jackd ?

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Nov 15 19:08:41 UTC 2015

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:03:39 -0500
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> 1) if an application is written to ONLY use JACK, then JACK must be
> running for that application to output audio

> 2) if an application is written to use JACK or some other audio API,
> then obviously JACK can be be stopped and the application can be told
> to use another API

> 3) if an application is written to use some other audio API, then in
> general, it will be a little complex to get it to work if JACK is
> running, and trivial if it is not.

> However, if your system was setup to deal with case (3), so that
> non-JACK applications could be heard even when using JACK, then it is
> unlikely that those same applications can be heard if JACK is not
> running.

The issue, after some tests, turns out to be in sending audio to the
M1010-LT card. As such, it ends up not having much to do with jackd. Of
course, jackd has to be terminated for bitwig to be able to both handle
MIDI (external keyboard controller) and having sound output.  If jackd
is there then bitwig configured for jackd will not be able to handle
MIDI (and that is a problem I hope they fix).  Then if bitwig is
configured for ALSA, it will not be able to use the M1010-LT output as
long as jackd is running.  bitwig does not really speaks jackd as of
today.  They added the jackd transport, although things remain to be
done.

Regarding audio to the M1010LT.  Without jackd, I can use pavucontrol
(Pulse audio) to have the output of the VLC player going through the
M1010LT and through the speakers, as usual.  But this does not work
once bitwig is launched.  bitwig outputs through the 1010LT.  My theory
is that it grabs the 1010LT and does not make it available to any other
app.  The VLC output routed to the 1010LT as above will freeze VLC.

So fine. VLC uses the system board audio.  I use headphones connected
to the board's audio output and I can then have the bitwig tutorial
videos and follow along with bitwig who outputs ont he 1010LT.

I really hope that the bitwig people will get it straight with jackd
MIDI in an upcoming release.  So that it can be used integrated with
Ardour.

Cheers.