[LAU] jackd without MIDI

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Nov 17 15:03:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, November 16, 2015 9:19 pm, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
>   "You're probably asking Jack to handle midi devices, too, which
>   doesn't work. Please deactivate MIDI in Jack's preferences and
>   try again. We recommend using jack over alsa alone, as the
>   performance and stability is way better when using jack."

Does the ALSA API allow one software to use the audio interface
exclusively, while also allowing a different application to use MIDI on
the same physical device?
That is the only way I can see those instructions making sense, as saying
use JACK for audio, and access the ALSA MIDI directly from Bitwig.

Is that even possible, or once a device interface is claimed for exclusive
access by JACK does that mean both audio and MIDI access for that device
are locked to jackd?

--
Chris Caudle