[LAU] Mono tracks to mono or stereo bus ? And sampling rate

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Mon Nov 23 16:58:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:45:48 -0500
"jonetsu at teksavvy.com" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 17:07:22 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > Regarding the sample rate consider to use 48 kHz usually there's no
> > advantage to use a higher sampling rate and most of the times a lower
> > sample rate does cause audible loss.
> >
> > "The Audio Engineering Society recommends 48 kHz sampling rate for
> > most applications"
> >
> > "Most professional audio gear uses 48 kHz sampling, including mixing
> > consoles, and digital recording devices."
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_%28signal_processing%29
>
> That can be a much valid point.  Everything boils down to what can be
> distributed easily anyways.  Is there a significant difference when
> sampling at 192,000 (jack max on this machine) and then having a final
> mastering for CD purposes ?  Well, there will be more points to work
> with, this is certain.  Does it make a difference ?  Will more
> complexities of the guitar playing end up being actually felt, tidbits
> that audiophiles can argue about for hours ?  Will it bring a somewhat
> sense of a richer sound to the listener ?  Not sure that it is entirely
> mathematics.  The notion of psychoacoustics was used in developing the
> MP3 format as inherently there's more than math to music.  Will this
> have an influence on the projects I make - most probably not, although
> it is an interesting topic.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

I believe the general advice is for small projects with little going on inside
the box 48k is ideal. If you intend to do a lot of editing, processing and
general effing about go for 96k and down sample the final master.

Don't bother with 192k at all unless your room is on the North wall of the
building and needs extra heating.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk