[LAU] Mono tracks to mono or stereo bus ? And sampling rate

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Nov 23 17:28:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 17:18:48 +0000
Neil C Smith <neil at neilcsmith.net> wrote:

> On 23 November 2015 at 17:08, jonetsu at teksavvy.com
> <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> > Hmmmm. Not sure about intuition.  A sine wave with 16 sampled points
> > will end up like a linked list of edges.  Saving that to file and
> > resampling at 128 will only add points to the straight lines.  It
> > will not create curves as per the original.  It cannot.  How would
> > it know it was a sine wave and not a guitar tone when it had to
> > process basically what was a robotic tone ?

> Interpolation?!

OK, fair enough. I will read about it.  The example that was shown in
the course using the Mediahuman software for conversion surely did not
interpolate anything from the original when sampling at a higher rate.

Are sound waves so predictable that a crude wave from a guitar will be
resampled to the warmth tones of wood as well as a wave from a synth ?