[LAU] Searching for audio interface with software-controlled mic gain

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 08:00:12 UTC 2015

Hi Thomas,

Sorry to dig up this oldish discussion and if I missed some of the
ideas.. but it's actually quite interesting.

On 25/08/2015 09:23, Thomas Janu wrote:
[...]
> The whole setup will be mounted at a remote location inside a larger
> machinery for audio surveillance of said machinery (fault detection
> etc.). The larger machinery of course may not be running while opened to
> install our setup, thus setting the gain has to be done remotely.
> The PC in this setup has an x86_64 CPU running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but the
> case is too small for PCI(e) solutions, doesn't have firewire, so the
> only option is USB.

Does the audio interface *have* to be inside the machine as well? What I
mean is Couldn't you just have the mics in the machine and the audio
interface outside (and accessible) so as to possible set the gain, fine
tune, turn on/off etc.?

Maybe I totally misunderstood the set-up but if what I wrote above were
somewhat feasible you might drop altogether the software-controlled gain
requirement?

Lorenzo.