[LAU] Komplete Audio 6 + USB3

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Sep 28 03:13:54 UTC 2015

On 09/27/2015 06:34 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:01:19 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:53:03 +0200
>> Nicola Pandini <nicola.pandini at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list! I'm about to purchase a laptop with usb3 only ports (no
>>> usb2). I want to use it for live performances, with a full RT-preemt
>>> kernel. Has someone already test NI Komplete Audio 6 with USB3? Are
>>> there known issues?
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>       Nicola
>>

>> No problem here. My computer has both USB2 and USB3 KA6 works
>> perfectly on both.
>
> I neither own USB 3 nor this IF, nor did I verify if it's backwards
> compatible, but regarding a few seconds of web research it seems to be
> backwards compatible. If I were you, then Will's experience, the
> superuser.com and wiki quotes would be enough to feel secure.
>
>      "It's backwards compatible. Your existing USB 2.0 gear will work on
>      version 3.0 ports and vice versa. You'll be able to maximize your
>      bandwidth when using a USB 3.0 cable with USB 3.0 devices and
>      ports, otherwise plugging a 3.0 device into a 2.0 port or a 2.0
>      device into 3.0 a port will get you standard USB 2.0 data rates.

Just a small observation. My USB2 Canon Canoscan scanner does not work
when connected to a USB3 port. Apparently regardless of OS (I don't have
Windows to test but saw posts saying it didn't work there, either).
Someone mentioned that there was a difference between USB2 and USB3 when
it came to handling USB resets or something like that.

I still have a desktop machine here with USB2, so can still use my scanner.

>      Since the new interface has been carefully planned from the start
>      to peacefully co-exist with its predecessor, the connector itself
>      remains mostly the same with the four USB 2.0 contacts in the exact
>      same location as before. Extra pins for the new lanes dedicated to
>      transmit and receive SuperSpeed data are located on the back and
>      only come into contact when mated with a proper USB 3.0 port." -
>      http://superuser.com/questions/437687/is-usb-3-0-backwards-compatible
>
> "The USB 3.0 specification was published on 12 November 2008. Its main
> goals were to increase the data transfer rate (up to 5 Gbit/s),
> decrease power consumption, increase power output, and be backward
> compatible with USB 2.0." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.0

Regardless of that, the KA6 makes me wish I had the money for it!

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community